Think of multivitamin and mineral supplements as "insurance" against the risk of disease. In general, for healthy people who cannot always eat a well‑balanced diet every day, a daily multivitamin can fill in these nutritional gaps or boost the nutrients they consume from adequate to optimal.
Vitamins and minerals that can benefit certain conditions include:
- Vitamin E: Being researched for its role in lowering the risk of certain chronic diseases (e.g. cardio‑vascular disease and prostate cancer).
- Vitamin B6: Helps maintain the immune system. Along with Folic Acid and B12, may reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases (e.g. heart disease).
- Vitamin D: Helps the normal development and maintenance of bones and teeth. Helps in the absorption and use of calcium and phosphorus.
- Folic acid: Being researched for its ability to lower the risk of certain chronic diseases (e.g. heart disease and colon cancer).
- Lutein: Helps support healthy eyesight.
- Selenium: Helps reduce the risk of certain cancers and heart disease.